Portfolio

For those interested in simply viewing a portfolio of my work it is now located on the home page; http://www.sbalaniphotography.com

Sunday, October 5, 2008

The City Of Angels

Although New York was the first city I chose to talk about regarding my trip to the United States, My first destination was in fact Los Angeles, the city of angels. This was another city that I thoroughly enjoyed visiting. Both cities were certainly nothing like what I was expecting, least of which was inspiring. Each city had its own little quirks and beauties. Although one of the things I hated most about LA was having to drive anywhere. That and the general absence of a guide in LA makes it seem like any other city. But then again a city is only as interesting as you know it. I was fortunate enough to have my Aunt take me around the city, hunting for galleries and the slightly more interesting parts of town. Hence where I discovered the thrift shops that would make portobello road market cry. The ammount of props, and availablity for the old, strange and unnatural bewildered me as I was coming up with creative uses the more I saw. Albeit I found it Oddly disturbing though that more victorian/ post victorian era antiquities were available in American thrift stores than say here in England where it all originated from...does that mean we as Europeans have exported our past to America?
IMG_2083-1-Edit

IMG_2060

One of my family's favorate places in LA to visit was the Farmers Market. A little dodgy gem of a place tucked away in a relatively high end open air mall called the grove. Its name clearly gives away the ambience of what it essentially is and is not. Whilst fresh fruits and veggies were of course available, Its also a collection of small open air restaurants mostly serving natural or home made goods, such as creppes, or banana leaf type restaurants

IMG_2220-1
IMG_2048

1 comment:

Mia said...

Wow the photo of the car is amazing.. My dad had one similar to that when he was younger! :)