Portfolio

For those interested in simply viewing a portfolio of my work it is now located on the home page; http://www.sbalaniphotography.com

Monday, April 12, 2010

Apple, good, bad or draconian?

So I read a post on Scott Kelby's blog recently about the Ipad and photographers, and how it affects us. He brought up some very interesting points which I thought to address further over here. I've been told by several many people, and I'm sure that I'll continue to be told that I dont "need" an Ipad. Now I wont go into that discussion here, but as far as I'm concerned I do also WANT one (However I still to think I also need it, but thats a discussion for another time). Some people love it, some hate it. Some say it will never survive, with all the other tablets that are comming out, that theres no flash, etc. This is all true, but wasnt much the same said about the Iphone? And look where it is today. At the very least the Ipad will take the creative industry by storm. With the exception of flash the Ipad is the perfect creative tool. Its fast, snappy, gorgeous, easy to carry, and although simplistic you never have to worry about bogging it down with too much junk. When going to a meeting, presenting photos, etc, the most embarrasing thing one can have is a slow computer. next....next next shit nothings happening only to have it after a minute skip to the end of the slide-show or presentation. Not good. Although the I-series devices are very restrictive you can be sure you wont suffer a problem like this, so it has its pro's and cons.

Now as photographers I know for a fact many are starting to stress about the lack flash support. I've been told that Flash is the WORST format in which to design a website IF you're interested in SEO. Most photographers are not. They just want a pretty page to show off their potfolio. In fact thats what we have our blogs for. We count on the blog making the hits in the search engine, and thru the blog have the portfolio found. its quite a symbiotic well worked relationship. But with the coming of the Ipad, with web surfing on it a prevalent factor (I know my bedside, poolside, dinner-table side, and couch side surfing whilst watching a movie will all be done on my up-comming Ipad :D), Flash using photographers and designers are left with less options on how to present their portfolios :D.

Fortunately HTML 5 Comes to the rescue! Despite not being the standard yet most new iterations of the big browsers (Opera, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, IE(?!?!?!) ) come well equiped enough to handle anything HTML 5 can throw at them (I think). With things like javascript, jquery and microsofts own silverlight (I beleive its supported on the I-stuff) there are a few other options in rebuilding interactive, moving pretty portfolios. What will you do? Lightroom already offers a few basic Jquery options but are they enough? is it too "cookie-cutter" so to speak? I for one am planning to integrate a portfolio of sorts into the blog by having a moving header with Jquery. What will you do though? Will those of you who have static portfolios make a jump? what about flash users? let me know!

No comments: